Yep, you CAN make an amazing bread without yeast that’s just like proper bread! 5 common ingredients: flour, baking powder, oil, milk and sugar. It’s a no yeast bread loosely based on Damper, a traditional Australian bread historically made by swagmen and drovers over campfire – except we’re using an oven!
Use for sandwiches, toast, grilled cheese, French Toast – anything you normally make with sandwich bread.
Bread without yeast
This is THE emergency bread that you make when you don’t have yeast, or you don’t have time to make yeast bread. Made with just flour, baking powder, oil, milk and sugar, it has a proper crumb like real bread, rather than being “muffin-like” which many no-yeast breads are.
This creation is inspired by the Australian Damper, a traditional bushman’s bread made with flour and water that was cooked over campfires. Except I’ve brought it into the 21st century to make the crumb fluffier, more tender and tastier, and made it look like sandwich bread rather than a freeform loaf. (Oh, and we cook this in an oven instead of over fire!)
Is it as good as a yeast bread? Yeast gives bread that has a chew and stretches in a way that bread made without yeast will never have. But this is as darn close as you will get to a yeast bread recipe without using yeast. And it’s off the charts delicious for something that takes 3 minutes to get into the oven!!
What goes into sandwich bread without yeast
Bread lovers might also recognise it as a simpler version of Irish Soda Bread. It’s easier because the dough is just mixed up in a bowl (ie no kneading at all) and it doesn’t require buttermilk or baking soda which aren’t pantry staples for everyone.
Here’s all you need to make bread without yeast:
- Flour – plain/all purpose flour, or switch up to half with wholemeal/wholewheat. Can use self raising in place of flour and baking powder;
- Baking powder – this is what gives this bread rise. Skip if using self raising flour, or substitute with baking soda;
- Milk – any type, dairy or non dairy, fresh or powder (reconstituted), full or no fat. Can be substituted with water plus 1 tbsp oil or butter;
- Oil – Just 1/4 cup gives this bread some much needed moisture. Without it, it’s very dry. Any neutral flavoured oil is fine – canola, vegetable, peanut, sun flower, even olive oil;
- Sugar – just 1 tablespoon makes quite a difference here to bring out flavour; and
- Salt – for seasoning
No egg. That’s the secret to the real bread-like crumb!
The flour and baking powder in this recipe can be substituted with self raising flour.
How to make bread without yeast
This is made just like making your favourite Chocolate Chip Muffins! Mix the flour, sugar and salt together, then add the oil and milk. Mix, pour, bake!
It takes 50 minutes in the oven, so I like to do half the time uncovered to get a lovely golden brown crust, then I cover it the rest of the time (otherwise the crust gets a bit thick and dark).
LOOK at that crust!↓↓↓ It’s tempting to just lift the whole thing off and run away with it! (Swipe the butter while you’re at it)
Slice it up like normal bread then use it for anything and everything you ordinarily use sandwich bread for. A simple ham sandwich. Or an epic Pastrami or Reuben sandwich. Grilled cheese – or cheesy GARLIC bread. Toast it and slather with jam, Vegemite, peanut butter or whatever you heart desires.
Dunk into soups and stews. You can even make French Toast or Bread and Butter pudding!
As with all homemade breads, this no yeast bread is at its best on the day its made. But even the day after, it’s still very, very good thanks to the touch of oil which keeps the crumb moist. Then on Day 3, a light toasting is all that’s needed to resurrect it.
It also freezes 100% perfectly – which is what I’ve done with the 8+ loaves I’ve made in the past few weeks, trying to nail the recipe. I’m going to be eating this for weeks and weeks – no complaints here!! ~ Nagi x
What how to make it
Sandwich Bread WITHOUT Yeast! (Dead easy)
- 4 cups flour , plain / all purpose OR self rising flour (Note 1)
- 8 tsp baking powder (skip if using self rising flour, Note 2 baking soda sub)
- 3 tsp white sugar
- 2 1/4 cups milk , warmed (any – Note 3)
- 1/4 cup oil , any plain (vegetable, canola, sunflower, rapeseed)
Preheat oven to 220°C/430°F (200°C fan).
Grease a 22 x 13 cm / 9 x 5″ loaf pan, then line with parchment/baking paper with overhang (to lift out).
Place flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl, mix to combine.
Make a well in the centre, pour in oil and milk. Mix until flour is fully incorporated – batter will be thick but stirrable.
Scrape into loaf pan, using a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl clean and smooth the surface.
Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with foil.
Return to oven. Turn oven DOWN to 200°C/390°F (180°C).
Bake 20 minutes.
Remove from oven, transfer to cooling rack. Cool 30 minute before slicing.
Use for sandwiches, toast, grilled cheese – anything you use “real” sandwich bread for!
Self raising flour (aka self rising flour) is just plain/all purpose flour pre mixed with baking powder. The formula is: 2 tsp baking powder for every 1 cup flour. This recipe can be made with either. (PS Don’t bother subtracting 8 tsp flour, this recipe is flexible enough)
Baking powder – I know 8 tsp sounds like a lot, but this is a big loaf we’re making here, and baking powder doesn’t have the same kick-start rising power as when you use baking soda (bi-carb) plus buttermilk, like in Irish Soda Bread. This is a “have everything right now” bread recipe – and buttermilk is not standard for me!
2. BAKING SODA SUB – (aka bi-carb) use 2 tsp baking soda PLUS add 1 tsp white vinegar when you add milk (vinegar activates baking soda.
3. Milk – anything will do, low fat, full fat, power reconstituted, non dairy (I’ve used soy and almond milk, so confident others will work just fine). Also works with WATER but the crumb is not quite as tender.
Life of Dozer
Video Bomber. I cut him from the video edits
The post Sandwich Bread WITHOUT yeast (Quick & Easy ) appeared first on RecipeTin Eats.