Rice rava upma using vengala panai (brass pot). Easy breakfast fix in 20 mins. Quick video with step by step pictures.
Wanted to prepare rice rava upma in vengala panai for long time. Have heard enough about the adai it is formed nicely at the bottom how tasty it turns out. I make upma often in my iron kadai since just for myself, it is only 1/2 cup of rice rava, so just a small kadai is enough.Usually get a lovely curved bowl shape adai in that itself and enjoy it all by myself. I was wondering how it would be if I try out in vengala panai. Is it worth the hype? My answer is yes!
It was really golden in colour, when compared to the iron one, also a lot tasty and super crispy that I can clearly tell the difference. When Zishta sent me the vengala paruppu uruli for review, I know first thing I am going to make is rice rava upma and definitely set adai to enjoy. First I thought I will try a slight variant of rice upma that my co-sis keeps telling me. Then realized I cannot cook acidic things in vengala panai and settled with this one.
I already have posted one variation from scratch with dal, pepper, jeera. But This is my most favorite on the go recipe with just readymade rice rava. You can also use broken rice.
Zishta’s vengala paruppu uruli is really good as it was heavy, sturdy and good in quality. These are claimed to be handmade products directly sourced from the artisans who do this for generations. It is also tested for various other harmful chemicals usually found like arsenic etc. Because of the quality, it can easily passed to generations by generations just like how our elders have.
Use RAKS05 to enjoy 5% discount on their products if you are purchasing through
- 1 cup Rice rava
- 2 & 1/4 cups water
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 tsp chana dal
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1 Sprig curry leaves
Heat the pot with oil and add all the ingredients under ‘To temper’ in order. Once dal is golden, add water, salt.
Bring to boil, add rice rava slowly by stirring. Bring to boil again for 2 minutes. When it is thick, like porridge, lower the flame.
Cook covered closed for 10 mins in low flame. Without scraping the bottom, take out the upma carefully using a blunt ladle.
Leave the bottom will have a coating of upma left. Drizzle some oil over it and turn the heat to medium.
Once it turns golden, switch off the stove and scrap the adai. Enjoy hot.
- Depending on the rice rava variety or if you use broken rice, the water quantity will vary. Broken rice will need 2 & 1/2 cup water. Some rice rava also needs more water.
- It is important to cook the upma in low flame after you boil it until porridge consistency. if you put the flame low earlier itself, it will not look fluffy, it will be like koozh instead.
- Do not cook in high flame either. You will not get the adai at bottom.
- Add oil over adai after taking out upma. Otherwise you may not get golden crispy adai.
- Drizzle coconut oil over upma while serving for best flavour.
Rice rava upma method
- Heat the pot with oil and add all the ingredients under ‘To temper’ in order.
- Once dal is golden, add water, salt.
- Bring to boil, add rice rava slowly by stirring. Bring to boil again for 2 minutes. When it is thick, like porridge, lower the flame.
- Cook covered closed for 10 mins in low flame. Without scraping the bottom, take out the upma carefully using a blunt ladle.
- Leave the bottom will have a coating of upma left. Drizzle some oil over it and turn the heat to medium. Once it turns golden, switch off the stove and scrap the adai. Enjoy hot.
Serve hot as such or with thengai thogayal best or coconut chutney, sambar etc. I had with some leftover coriander thogayal.
The post Rice rava upma, arisi upma in vengala panai appeared first on Raks Kitchen.