It doesn’t get much simpler or more delicious than tender and flavorful pork Carnitas. This delicious shredded pork is flavored with Mexican spices and can be served in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, tamales or salads.
My saving grace as a busy mom is recipes I can prepare first thing in the morning in the slow cooker, or 30-minute meals I can throw together easily after work!
Who needs a Mexican restaurant when you can make it so much better at home, with really simple pantry ingredients? I know you’re going to love theses carnitas!
Why I love this recipe:
- 5 minute prep time, and you can cook carnitas in the oven, slow cooker or in the instant pot!
- Versatile: serve them in just about anything from tacos, burritos, tamales, quesadillas or burrito bowls.
- Freezer friendly
How to make Carnitas (slow cooker method):
- Season pork. Trim and discard excess fat from the pork. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Generously season the pork on all sides.
- Add onion, garlic and citrus. Place the seasoned pork in the bottom of the slow cooker and add garlic, chopped onions, orange juice, and lime juice around it.
- Cook. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Shred. Remove pork from the slow cooker, shred the meat, and return it to the pot. Taste and add more seasonings or salt and pepper, if needed.
Broil (optional). At this point you can eat the pork as is or, to be truly authentic, you can place the meat on a baking sheet and broil it for 2-3 minutes until the edges are crispy.
For tacos, serve inside warm corn tortillas, garnished with cilantro.