This easy Pizookie recipe makes a giant chocolate chip cookie in an 8” skillet that you can share with the whole family. Eating the pizookie straight from the pan while it’s still warm and gooey is way more fun!
Looking for more easy cookie recipes to bake with your kids? Try these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies and these Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies, or forget the oven and make these No Bake Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies.
This chocolate chip pizookie is a classic chocolate chip cookies recipe scaled down in portion and baked into one single giant cookie in a cast iron skillet. It is super easy to make, no mixer, no chilling, no shaping required.
What is a Pizookie?
If you have been to a BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse, chances are you know exactly what a Pizookie is. Pizookie is a “pizza” + “cookie” combination, typically baked to order in a skillet and served warm with a gigantic scoop of vanilla ice cream.
How to make Pizookie
For this pizookie recipe, I mixed all the ingredients by hand with a whisk, you can use a spatula, a wooden spoon, or an electric mixer if you want, but know that a mixer is not required at all.
- First, melt the butter in the microwave and let it cool down a bit. Then beat it vigorously with the sugar, followed by the egg yolk and vanilla.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sprinkle in the salt. Mix until the cookie dough comes together. Stir in the chocolate chips. I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use milk chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate chunks, anything you’d like.
- Transfer the cookie dough to a buttered 8” cast iron skillet and bake for about 20 – 22 minutes at 350°F. If you want a softer, more gooey center cookie, shorten the baking time. If you want a golden brown, crispier cookie, bake it longer.
What if I don’t have a cast iron skillet?
You can bake the pizookie in a 6” – 7” round cake pan. The cast iron skillet is taper, with the opening at 8” and the bottom at 7”, so if you use an 8” round cake pan, the cookie will be thinner and will bake faster.
Storing leftover Pizookie
I’d be surprised if you have any leftovers since this pizookie recipe only makes enough for a few servings. But if you happen to have leftover, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Serve your Pizookie with these tasty homemade ice cream
- No Churn Brownie Batter Ice Cream
- Golden Oreo Ice Cream
- Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Keto Ice Cream
- Honey Lavender Ice Cream
- 2 oz unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Extra melted butter for the skillet
Melt butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Let is cool for 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Add brown sugar, granulated sugar and melted butter to a small mixing bowl and beat with a whisk for 2 minutes until lightened in color. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract, and continue beating for another 2 minutes.
Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and sprinkle in the salt. Mix until the cookie dough comes together. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Brush an 8” round skillet with some extra melted butter and transfer the cookie dough into the skillet, even out the top.
Bake for about 20 – 22 minutes until the side is golden brown and crisp.