Sweet, tangy, sticky, crunchy Orange Chicken.
Oh I’m not gonna let that Summer heat stop me from making delicious in my kitchen! And so this Orange Chicken happened. Good thing I still have three oranges left in the fridge and a few streaks of my sanity.
How’s MECQ treating you so far, mga mamsh?
My anxiety is pretty active these days. Sometimes I’d get a ton of inspiration and feel so motivated. Sometimes, I just want to lie down and wait the until the day is over. I’m still uncertain about a lot of things and I feel like life is hanging somewhere.
I know we shouldn’t think too much about everything that’s happening around us — pero ang hirap!
So as much as possible, I just try to have a positive disposition…
So repeat after me, What’s important right now is that I’m HEALTHY and ALIVE.
Let’s think about all those other things later, for now, let’s just treat ourselves to yummy food — like this Orange Chicken, which is what you don’t know you’ve been craving for all this time.
It’s super easy to make, just make a pancake-like batter, marinate the chicken there. Fry the chicken to a crisp. Make the sauce and pour into the chicken.
- Use boneless chicken thighs because it’s moist and more flavorful. You can also use chicken breasts but you have to be careful not to overcook it. It tends to get dry kasi when overcooked.
- To get crispy chicken, the oil should be hot at all times.
- Fry the chicken in batches to avoid crowding the pot and to get even cooking.
- When thickening the sauce, make a cornstarch-water slurry so it dissolves easily. If the sauce seems too thick, you can whisk in a tablespoon or two of water. If it’s too thin, let it bubble for an extra minute (or two) to thicken.
Thank you so much or dropping by today! You’re one of the reasons that keeps me thinking positive!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LOVE…
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- oil for frying
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger, grated
- juice of 2½ oranges
- ½ cup brown sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water (cornstarch slurry)
- sesame seeds
- chopped green onions
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add the egg, oil and water, whisking until smooth.
- Add the chicken cubes to the mixture, making sure the chicken gets thoroughly coated.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in a pot or wok. Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Add the chicken cubes in batches of about 10-15 pieces, shaking off excess batter if needed. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- Cook the Orange Sauce: Heat oil in a sauce pan and saute garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the brown sugar, orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Bring to a low boil. Add the sesame oil.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Simmer until it becomes syrupy.
- Add the fried chicken and toss until the sauce coats it thoroughly.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and /or green onions.
The post Orange Chicken from The Peach Kitchen Express (Char!) appeared first on The Peach Kitchen.