Crispy Black bean burgers with spicy mayo are so much healthier, cheaper and tastier homemade and can be grilled or cooked on the stovetop, in the oven, or in the air fryer!
Whether you just love to eat some meatless meals here and there or are looking to add healthy nutrients to your diet, black bean burgers are perfect. They are a wonderful way to cut back on meat and fill up on delicious protein.
I love a juicy burger as much as the next person, but once I made these crispy black bean burgers, I was hooked. They are packed with tons of flavor, and you can top them with all sorts of foods. Next time you are in the mood for something amazing, try these black bean burgers, and you’ll be happy you did. Plus, you can make them even healthier by adding lots of veggies as toppings.
What You Will Need To Make Black Beans Burgers
- Black beans: They are the star of the show, and combined with the other ingredients, make a burger you won’t soon forget.
- Olive oil: You just need a little bit to saute the garlic.
- Bell pepper: Use any color of bell peppers that you like. Red, orange, and yellow will add some extra color to the burgers.
- Yellow onion: I love the flavor of adding some yellow onions. Plus, you will get some added nutrients too.
- Garlic cloves: You can adjust the amount of garlic you add based on your preferences.
- Instant Oats: The texture is wonderful with instant oatmeal. You can also use some breadcrumbs, almond flour, or any other flour you enjoy too. Such a versatile recipe!
- Egg: The egg helps hold all the ingredients together, so it doesn’t fall apart as you are cooking the black bean burgers.
- Shredded Cheese: The cheese adds texture and flavor to the burgers. You can use your favorite shredded cheese or even feta or goat cheese. It’s completely optional but highly recommended!
- Sriracha: If you want a little kick of heat, sriracha is the way to go. Otherwise, ketchup is a great choice too.
- Seasonings: I like using chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in my black bean burgers. It’s so yummy!
- Fresh cilantro: Using cilantro is completely optional. Adding a little bit enhances the flavor, but if you aren’t a fan, you can skip it.
How To Make Black Bean Burgers
Making these black bean burgers is so easy, and the result is a drool-worthy meal that you will want over and over again. To start, you’ll need to saute the onions and peppers in a skillet until they are tender. Then add in the garlic and heat for a couple of more minutes.
Next, drain and rinse your cans of black beans. Make sure to remove excess water by patting them dry with a paper towel. Next, place the beans in a mixing bowl and begin mashing them with a for. You want them to be a little bit chunky. Then mix in the onion mixture, eggs, cheese, oats (or breadcrumbs/flour), sriracha, spices, and cilantro and combine.
Place the black bean burger mixture in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. This allows the oats or breadcrumbs to absorb any extra moisture and will help keep the burgers together. If you are in a hurry, you can skip this step.
After cooling the burger mixture in the fridge, remove them and make 8 patties. Then cook by baking, on the stovetop, in the air fryer or on the grill.
Make Black Bean Burgers in Advance
If you are looking for a meal that you can make ahead of time, you’ll love these black bean burgers. You can easily store them in the fridge for 3-5 days! Keep them in a covered container with a tight-fitting lid.
Additionally, you can freeze the black bean burgers for up to 1 month. Defrost them before warming up. Heat them in the microwave or in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil when ready to serve.
Black Bean Burgers Topping Ideas
There are lots of different toppings you can add to these black bean burgers. I wanted to share some of my favorite ideas, but feel free to add all your go-to toppings.
- caramelized onion
- chipotle sauce
- Spicy Mayo
Benefits Of Black Bean Burgers
There are many health benefits of making black bean burgers. For starters, they are a healthier meatless alternative to traditional burgers. Plus, you get all the amazing health benefits of the black beans themselves.
Black beans are a nutrient-rich food that is loaded with potassium, fiber, folate, protein, and vitamin B6. They keep you full and satisfied too.
Healthy Black Bean Burgers
- 2 (15 oz cans) black beans, drained well
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup Instant Oats, pulsed in blender (or breadcrumbs, almond flour, or flour of choice, see note)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice*
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (or ketchup)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- 2-4 tablespoons Spicy Mayo optional
Heat olive in a small pan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for at least 2-4 minutes.
Drain and rinse black beans. Pat with a paper towel to remove excess water. Pour into a large mixing bowl and gently mash with a fork just until chunky. Add the breadcrumbs, eggs, cheese, sriracha, spices, and cilantro. Mix to combine.
Cover the mixture and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. This step will help the breadcrumbs or other grain absorb the excess moisture so they don’t fall apart.
Once Burgers have set in the fridge, divide the mixture into 8 even patties and cook via the desired cooking method. Once cooked, assemble burgers with your favorite toppings and condiments. We served it with spicy mayo and air fryer fries.
Stovetop: Sautee 3-4 minutes per side in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until the outside is crispy and set.
To Bake: Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
To Grill: Place burgers on greased aluminum foil and grill 7-9 minutes per side or until cooked through and charred.
To Air fry: Preheat air fryer to 375F. Air fryer for 15 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
More Delicious Black Bean Recipes To Try!
Avocado Black Bean Quesadillas
Crispy Black Bean and Rice Burritos
Southwest Veggie Quesadillas
Avocado & Black Bean Salad
Black Bean and Avocado Wraps