These crispy Tostadas are easy to make and layered with flavorful toppings that make this main dish one of the best! Create a delicious dinner right at home within minutes!
Tostadas are similar to tacos, just using a tortilla that is flat rather than movable. Try this best EVER ground beef tacos, easy homemade Navajo tacos or Baja fish tacos for more taco inspired recipes.
Easy to Make Tostadas
Quick and easy tostadas are so fun to make and come together perfectly. They have a vibrant color to them with all the fresh vegetables and some sliced fruits. Top them with shredded cheese and refried beans and you have a complete meal. Your family is going to go crazy over!
Pile high your favorite toppings on this homemade fried tostada. They are simple to make and will feed a crowd. The tostada is fried up nicely, giving it a crisp texture to hold all choices of optional toppings. Switch up your tortillas or add a little more topping creating a new and fun tostada each time you get more. The options are endless and the tostadas will keep coming!
What is a Tostadas?
A tostada is a classic Mexican recipe that is one of the favorites! Tostadas name comes from a Spanish word meaning toasted or looking toasted. Usually a tostada is known for being flat and a round tortilla that is deep fried or toasted in oil.
In some places tostadas can be an appetizer or a main dish. The tortilla is cut into small triangles to make chips to dip into extra sides like salsa or guacamole. There are a few different versions of tostadas that are known around the world.
Simple ingredients that blend perfectly together creating the perfect combination. This tostada cooks up quickly and has amazing flavors that all come together. Layer your tostadas just the way you like it!
- Vegetable Oil: Used for frying the tortillas in a pan.
- Corn Tortillas: Perfect for frying and using
- Ground Beef and Taco Seasoning: Cooked up together creating a delicious Mexican flavor.
- Refried Beans: A Great layer to start off on the tortilla.
- Cheddar Cheese: Shredded cheese to sprinkle over top and melt a little from the heat of the ingredients.
- Shredded Lettuce: Fresh and light tasting.
- Tomato: Gives a sweet taste.
- Sliced Olives: Love the taste an olive adds to the recipe.
- Cilantro: A hint of savory and spice.
- Guacamole: Blend together an avocado making this rich and creamy topping for your tostada
- Avocado: Creamy slices of avocado right on top equals perfection!
How to Make the Best Tostadas:
These tostadas make the best dinner for everyone in the family. Each person can create and layer their own toppings and make the best tostadas. This is an easy to make, quick dinner for a busy weekday.
- Fry Tortillas: In a medium sized skillet add vegetable oil filling up to about 1/2 inch on the sides. Heat the oil to medium high heat. Poke holes with a fork in the tortilla and add it to the hot oil. Fry on each side until golden brown 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Cook Beef: In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat cook and crumble the ground beef. Drain the grease. Add in the taco seasoning.
- To assemble: Heat the refried beans over the stove or in the microwave until warm. Spread a thin layer on the tortilla followed by the ground beef and cheese. Top with desired toppings.
Tips for the Perfect Tostada:
- Frying: It is best to use a cooking thermometer to check the oil. The oil will need to be around 350 to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Once they are fried on both sides add the fried tortillas to a plate that is prepared with paper towels on it. The paper towels will help soak up any extra grease that is left on the tortillas.
- Baking: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay the tortillas on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with olive oil. Bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy and flip half way through.
- Preparing the Tortilla: Poking holes in the tortilla will help the tortilla stay round and not curl too much while being fried.
- Tortillas: Corn tortillas are best and the perfect size. I like the smaller round size. When choose a tortilla, choose one that is not already cooked and can be fried. Smaller the size the better and easier to flip over in the pan.
- Assembling: Once cooled, start layering your tostada. It works best to have the heavier more dense ingredients on bottom like refried beans, meat, then the cheese will melt over top the meat, then continue on to the next optional toppings of choice.
More Filling Ideas:
Fill your tostada up with all the delicious meats, cheeses, vegetables and fruits. This classic Mexican Dinner is always a HUGE hit for a family! Everything comes together quickly and easily making everyone their favorite personal tostada.
- Beef Barbacoa
- Pork Carnitas
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Chicken Chili Verde
More Mexican Inspired Recipes:
- Homemade Chimichanga Recipe
- Taco Stuffed Avocados
- Best Ever Horchata Drink
- Bake Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
- Mexican Shrimp Skillet
Easy to Make Tostadas
- vegetable oil
- 4 12 inch corn tortillas*
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 15 ounce can refried beans
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Shredded lettuce
- Tomato diced
- sliced olives
- cilantro chopped
- avocado sliced
- sour cream
In a medium sized skillet add vegetable oil filling up to about 1/2 inch on the sides. Heat the oil to medium high heat. Poke holes with a fork in the tortilla and add it to the hot oil. Fry on each side until golden brown 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat cook and crumble the ground beef. Drain the grease. Add in the taco seasoning.
To assemble: Heat the refried beans over the stove or in the microwave until warm. Spread a thin layer on the tortilla followed by the ground beef and cheese. Top with desired toppings.