This simple Cucumber Onion Salad is a delicious combination of cool cucumber, sweet onion, and tangy marinade that will have you eating most the dish before it ever makes it to the table.
Cucumber Onion Salad is a total classic, and one of my favorite salad recipes during the summer for BBQ’s and potlucks. It’s pretty much on constant rotation with tomato cucumber salad, potato salad, and pasta salad.
- Cucumbers: I love mini cucumbers or English cucumbers because they are long, thin, and seedless and there is no need to peel them. Regular, grocery store cucumbers have a thicker, tougher, and waxier skin that you may want to peel first. However, any cucumbers will work well.
- Onion: I recommend using a sweet onion or red onion so that the flavor doesn’t overwhelm the cucumbers.
- Vinegar: I used a combination of white vinegar and red vinegar, but you can use what you have on hand including cider vinegar, or rice wine vinegar.
- Salt and pepper
How to make cucumber onion salad:
1. Chop vegetables; slice the sweet onion and cucumbers into thin slices.
2. Mix dressing. Mix the vinegar, red wine vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper.
3. Toss together and marinate. Toss dressing over veggies and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve Cucumber Onion Salad with:
- Grilled chicken
- BBQ Drumsticks
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Grilled Chicken Burgers
Make ahead instructions:
This is a great salad to make a few hours ahead of time and will stay good in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Consider trying these popular salad recipes:
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Healthy Chicken Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Thai Quinoa Salad
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Cucumber Onion Salad
- 6 mini cucumbers
- 1/4 large sweet onion
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cut the cucumbers into very slices. Slice the wedge of sweet onion into very thin slices.
In a small bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Taste the dressing–it’s easy to adapt it if you want it to be a little sweeter or more tangy.
Pour dressing over veggies and toss to combine.
For best results, allow the mixture to marinate for at least an hour or up to overnight, before serving.
I originally shared this recipe July 2017. Updated March 2020 with ingredient photo and improved instructions.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
The post Cucumber Onion Salad appeared first on Tastes Better From Scratch.