Incredible Chicken Quesadillas are packed with juicy chicken, peppers, onions, garlic, and lots of melty cheese. They are an easy and healthy idea that is perfect for those hectic weeknights.
One thing is for sure…we LOVE chicken quesadillas at our house. They are always on our recipe rotation because the entire family loves them. Of course, I love them not just because they taste amazing, but because they are so simple to make. I can throw them together in a matter of a few minutes, and they are perfection.
We will occasionally hit a fast food restaurant and get take out quesadillas, and I have to say I prefer my homemade ones any day. The fast-food ones are good, and of course, you don’t have to put in any effort, but they lack flavor. Plus, who knows what kinds of ingredients go into them that aren’t good for you. You can feel great about feeding these chicken quesadillas to your family.
What You Need To Make Chicken Quesadillas
- Chicken breasts: Chop up the chicken into bite sized pieces. This will make it cook much faster and will give it a great texture for the quesadillas.
- Oil: You can use olive oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil or anything else you like.
- Diced bell pepper: You can use any color that you like. Red peppers tend to be sweeter than green. Try a variety if you want.
- Diced onion: I love the added flavor onions give to the homemade quesadillas.
- Jalapeno: You can omit the jalapeno if you want, but we like a little bit of heat in ours. Chop them up and toss them in if you want them to be spicy.
- Garlic: Mince the garlic and add them to the chicken quesadillas. I love the flavor it adds and I think you will too.
- Taco seasoning: The easy quesadillas get tons of flavor from the taco seasoning.
- Shredded cheese: Use your favorite cheese that melts well and it will be perfect. We like to use cheddar cheese, but anything will work.
- Medium flour tortillas: The secret to the quesadillas is using a flour tortilla. They cook well and give you a nice crunch when you bite into them.
How To Make Chicken Quesadillas
Quesadillas are going to become a new household favorite if they aren’t already. They please a crowd and you don’t have to spend a lot of time cooking them!
To start off, chop up the chicken so it’s in bite-sized pieces. Warm the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pan. Once the oil is hot add in the chicken pieces and taco seasoning. The aroma is amazing!
After you saute the chicken for 5 minutes sprinkle in the onions, peppers, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Remove the ingredients from the pan.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of oil then place a flour tortilla in the pan. Sprinkle some shredded cheese and 1/4 of the chicken and veggie mixture. Add a little bit more cheese then fold the tortilla in half. Cook until each side is crispy and remove from the pan. Repeat the steps until all four of the quesadillas have been cooked.
You can slice the chicken quesadillas in half or even thirds then serve with some sour cream, salsa, guacamole or dipping sauce.
How to Make Quesadillas with Leftover Chicken
You can easily swap out the raw chicken for leftover chicken. You will need to sautee the peppers and onions for 3-4 minutes. Then add the chicken and taco seasoning and combine well. Then remove the ingredients from the pan and continue as directed.
- 1 pound chicken breasts (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded melting cheese
- 4 medium flour tortillas
Cut chicken breasts into small bite size pieces. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy duty pan. Add the chicken breasts and taco seasoning to the pan. Sautee 4-5 minutes then add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, sautee another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove mixture from the pan and set aside.
To the same pan, add ½ teaspoon oil and a tortilla, top with a handful of shredded cheese, and 1/4th the chicken mixture, then with more cheese. Fold the tortilla and cook on both sides until crispy and golden. Remove from the pan and repeat with remaining tortillas.
To serve: Slice tortillas in half or thirds and serve with sour-cream, salsa, guacamole or your favorite dipping sauce.
What Kind Of Dipping Sauces Can I Use?
There are several dipping sauces that are perfect with these quesadillas. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- Chipotle Sauce
- Spicy Mayo
More Delicious Quesadilla Recipes
Don’t forget to check out these other mouthwatering quesadilla recipes:
- Chicken Avocado Quesadillas
- Southwest Veggie Quesadillas
- Best Shrimp Quesadillas
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas