Healthy oven baked chicken parmesan is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside with no frying required. This easy method makes the most FLAVORFUL chicken parmesan in under 30 minutes!
Most chicken parmesan recipes take tons of effort and a lot longer to prepare. I am so glad that this chicken parmesan recipe is so much easier than that. It tastes like it’s been cooking for a long time, and the seasonings have married beautifully. But in reality, you can easily throw this meal together at the last minute and its perfection.
I love this easy chicken parmesan for many reasons, but the fact that it’s satisfying and delicious are my top reasons. The chicken parm keeps you full and goes lovely with veggies, salads, or even bread.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BAKED CHICKEN PARMESAN
- Chicken breasts: The star of the show is the juicy chicken breasts. You can use thighs instead if you would rather.
- Olive oil: The olive oil gives you that crispy crust that we all know and love when it comes to chicken parmesan.
- Panko bread crumbs: The secret to crunchy parmesan chicken is the panko bread crumbs. It’s amazing.
- Parmesan cheese: Every bite of this baked chicken is delicious because of the tangy parmesan cheese.
- Seasonings: For seasonings, I always use garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt. It’s a delightful combination and goes well with the other ingredients. You’ll also need a little bit of black pepper as well.
- Egg: Using egg is necessary to make the breading stick to the chicken breasts.
- Marinara sauce: You can’t have chicken parm without some marinara sauce too. It takes this chicken to the next level.
- Shredded mozzarella: Sometimes, we use shredded mozzarella, and sometimes we use fresh mozzarella. Both are excellent choices.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED CHICKEN PARMESAN
You won’t believe that you can seriously make chicken parmesan without ever frying it and in under 30 minutes. It’s true, and it will be one of the best recipes you’ve ever tasted.
Start off by preheating the oven, and greasing your sheet pan.
Take the chicken breasts and cut them in half lengthwise. You will end up with 4 pieces of chicken and you should pound them to the thickness you like.
Mix together the panko, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Then whisk the egg in another small bowl.
Take each chicken piece and dip it into the egg, then bread crumbs. Make sure both sides are completely coated, then place them on the baking sheet.
Bake the chicken for 15 minutes, then turn each piece. Top with some marinara sauce and some mozzarella cheese. Continue baking for 5-7 minutes. After the cheese has melted and the chicken is done, broil for 2-3 minutes, then serve hot. Enjoy!
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER CHICKEN PARMESAN?
If you end up with leftover chicken parmesan, you can easily save them. Store the chicken in an airtight container and place it in the fridge for up to 4 days. This is a wonderful chicken recipe for meal prepping.
Additionally, you can freeze the baked chicken parmesan too. Again, you will want to store it in a container that is airtight. It will last up to 2 months in the freezer.
To heat up the chicken, you will need to thaw the chicken in the fridge overnight or until it’s defrosted. Then you can warm it in the oven at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until it’s hot. You can also put the breaded chicken parmesan in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until hot. It warms up fairly quickly, so make sure not to heat it for too long.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 chicken breasts (approx. 1lb.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (or 4 slices fresh mozzarella)
Preheat the oven to 425F. Grease a sheet pan with 2 tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make 4 fillets total. Pound to even thickness if desired.
In a shallow bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, oregano, salt & pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the egg.
Dip each chicken fillet into the egg mixture then into the bread crumb mixture, coating both sides well. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes then flip onto the other side and top each chicken with 3-4 tablespoons of marinara sauce and a generous handful of mozzarella cheese (or 1 fresh slice).
Return to the oven and bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through. Brown under broiler for 2-3 minutes if desired.